Homemade seasoning salt is so fast and easy, there is no reason to buy it at the store. You likely have all of the necessary ingredients on hand, and when you make it yourself you can save money, and customize it to your likes/dislikes. This homemade version avoids any unnecessary additives and tastes amazing!
I am pretty excited to share this recipe with you today. I am actually not positive if it can REALLY be called a recipe since there is zero cooking involved. Seriously, zilch. If you are like me, you usually have a bottle of some kind of “seasoned salt” in your pantry. It’s uses are wide and variable, but
for me, I like having it around for times when I don’t want to think. Sometimes I am grilling up some chicken, or steaming veggies, and I don’t want to to through the work of deciding what spice blend will tastegood on it. Enter: Seasoning Salt.
This recipe actually came about because of necessity. I use the stuff a LOT and found myself running out often. Which made me think, how hard could it be to make my OWN seasoning salt (I have this thought quite often). The ingredient list of storebought seasoned salt really isn’t the worst, but making your own provides several benefits:
Benefits of making your own spice blend
- You can alter the level of salt according to your tastes and dietary needs: I often find seasoning salts purchased from the store to be too salty. They are designed to be used so that once your dish is sufficiently salty, it will also be seasoned to perfection. I often find that I taste mostly salt, and can’t taste the flavors from the other herbs or spices. This recipe is good for our family’s tastes, but if you find you want more or less salt, or if you are trying to watch your sodium, it’s super easy to just cut it down. You don’t have to be stuck with what the store gave you.
- You can customize tastes and flavors: I designed this seasoned salt blend to be very simple and basic. I wanted it to be able to be used in basically any dish and to taste good with any type of cuisine. I use it on basically everything as a base, and then I can add more flavors to customize it to taste just how I want it. If your family has another herb or spice that you find yourself using on EVERYTHING you could add it to the seasoning mix to customize it for your family. Also, if you dislike any of the flavors found in my version of the seasoning mix, feel free to leave it out. WARNING: Garlic Haters, I’m not sure we can be friends, so it’s best not to let me know!
- You can stick to ingredients you know and are familiar with: As I said earlier, storebought seasoning salt really isn’t the worst offender when it comes to packaged/processed foods. However, by making your own you are avoiding just a few preservatives and additives, and you have the bonus of knowing exactly what you are eating.
If you’ve got five extra minutes, throw together this spice mix and try it for dinner tonight. Doesn’t matter what you’re having, it goes great with everything. Promise.
Do you have any magic seasoning blends of your own that you use all the time!? If you are looking for more spice blends, be sure to sign up for my newsletter. You will receive my top 5 recipes for learning to cook from scratch which includes my awesome homemade taco seasoning blend.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, and as always, thanks for reading!
Homemade Seasoning Salt
- 1/3 C Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Store in an airtight container. Use to taste on meat, veggies, etc...for flavor